May 12, 2008

How Many American Auto Jobs Does That Car Support?

I have been saying for quite awhile that American Automotive Manufacturers support a hell of a lot more jobs in America then their Japanese counterparts.

And now you can see exactly how many american jobs your vehicle choice supports.

A group that promotes the U.S. auto industry launched a Web site last week that grades cars and trucks on how many U.S. jobs they support.

The score represents the number of U.S. workers a company employs for every 2,500 vehicles it sells

Go see how many american jobs your vehicle supports.

My Freestyle (now Taurus X) supports 81 American jobs per 2500 vehicles built.

While the Toyota Camry only supports 32 American jobs per 2500 vehicles built.

And my Freestyle has 90% domestic content while the Camry only has 75% domestic content*

*and that 75% domestic content really isn't, as alot of the "american" parts in that car orginally came from Asia and were only assembled in america.

Posted by Quality Weenie at May 12, 2008 09:22 AM | TrackBack

My wife's little Liberty was an 82. Not bad.

Posted by: Navy CPO at May 12, 2008 11:21 AM

Hey, my Grand Cherokee is an 83! Better than the last truck I had... the Xterra is only a 37! Wow!

Posted by: pam at May 12, 2008 01:14 PM

I'm not sure I buy this site. My Honda scored a 45 - but I know for a fact that it was built in an American plant with American parts. The site said 75% was American with the other 25% foreign while my Husband's Ford Truck was built in a Mexican plant with japanese parts but said it was 90% American. So, I question some of what goes into this website. What it also fails to calculate is the number of jobs for Americans who are transporting, delivering, selling and servicing those cars. Brings the number up.

My dad is a trucker and 100% of his work comes from Honda. Again, here in good ole U.S.A.

Posted by: oddybobo at May 12, 2008 04:10 PM

Some explanation of what domestic content refers to.

Domestic content solely refers to where the parts that make up the vehicle are made, it has nothing to do with where the vehicle was made.

So even though your Honda is built in the US, only 75% of the parts that make up that vehicle are made in the US. And even though the F-150 you have is made in Mexico, 90% of the parts that make up that vehicle are made in the US.

So more amercians are working in the US to build parts for the F-150 made in Mexico then they are working to build parts for the Honda made in America.

Hence the low score for your Honda and the high score for the Ford.

Posted by: Quality Weenie at May 13, 2008 08:12 AM