September 21, 2005


Ok I have a huge dilemma and I figure since the answers to my interview questions post were good I would put it to the audience again.

I obviously had an interview, which was today. And unfortuantly for me went great. I am meeting with the President of the company (small company) next week.


While right now they are only located 15 minutes from my house, which is why I applied to this company. Close to home.

In 6-8 months though they are moving the plant closer to their Corporate Offices.

This is where the unfortunatly comes in ...

They will be moving the plant 1 1/2 hour drive away (that would be on a good days drive, winter and snow 2 1/2 hours easy). That is out of the question. I will not drive that far each way, every day for a job.

So do I:

1 - Forget about it now and not go on the 2nd interview
2 - Go on the 2nd interview and see what happens (maybe I won't get hired, problem solved then)
3 - Take job if hired and in 6 months start looking for a new job. This way I would get experience in the management roll.

My current job is a dead-end job, seems the Japanese are not as socially advanced in the job equality rolls as American companies are. I hate being here more and more each day, we are going through some very tough times right now and the future does not look so rosy right now.

Come January I start my Thesis project, which means I have stay where I am for at least a year to complete the project.

So what would you do?

Posted by Quality Weenie at September 21, 2005 01:06 PM | TrackBack

Sorry, Machelle, you're only allowed to go to the audience once. You'll have to choose 50/50 or phone a friend now...

I think the biggest problem with taking the new job and then leaving in 6 months is that they are letting you know ahead of time that they're moving in 6 months -- so they're not going to be happy if you leave that quickly, unless it's in a position with high turnover.

How sure is company that it's moving? Lowe's promised a friend of mine they were moving to a town, so he bought a house there and started commuting to Lowe's, about 1.5 hours each way, while waiting for Lowe's to move his job. That was 4 years ago and they haven't moved yet...

Posted by: Ogre at September 21, 2005 02:44 PM

This is a tough question. If you HATE your job and can't move, to me the only option is the commute. I know it sucks, but I had to do an hour commute for 2.5 years of my life, unfortunately you get used to it after a while.

Then when you are able to move go. Taking the job with the plans to leave in 6 months is kind of rude. They are letting you know what is going on, so as to weed people that do that out of the running.

If you can stand your job a while longer, just call them and tell them that due to the fact they are moving you are no longer interested in the position. Explain that you are not able to move and that you are not interested in commuting that distance.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: Contagion at September 21, 2005 02:50 PM

Yeah, seconding Contagion here.

Posted by: Harvey at September 21, 2005 08:59 PM

What happened to all you low moral people? Now is not the time to bring them out ;)

I've thought it over and I think I will at least go on the 2nd interview, who knows, maybe they will make me an offer I can't refuse.

Ogre - Yes they are definately moving, For lease signs on the buildings they are in now and working on putting the finishing touches on the new building.

Posted by: Machelle at September 22, 2005 08:01 AM

As management, I hate when we hire people that pull stunts like that. Especially when we went out of the way to tell them what is going to happen.

I have A moral and ethic and this touches on it. :)

Posted by: Contagion at September 22, 2005 08:42 AM

I do the commute thing. I live 40 miles from work. It really isn't that bad if you like books on tape or Bob and Tom in the morning. I get a lot of think ing done in the car. Also, perhaps you can drive 1/2 way and hitch in with a colleague? But if you are interested in the job go for it!

Posted by: oddybobo at September 22, 2005 11:57 AM