August 05, 2005

Today in Automotive History

1914 Red Light, Green Light

The first traffic light was installed at the intersection of Euclid Avenue and East 105th Street in Cleveland, Ohio. Earlier roads, shared by horses, cars, and streetcars, were chaotic. As accidents and traffic increased it became apparent that some rules of the road were required. The traffic light was only one of several improvements to arrive in this period--the traffic island was introduced in 1907, dividing lines appeared in 1911, and the "No Left Turn" sign debuted in 1916.

Posted by Quality Weenie at August 5, 2005 08:05 AM | TrackBack